Friday, October 12, 2018

Not a good day to get aces

Some sessions are dull in that I fail to get a decent story out of them. That doesn’t necessarily mean that I made or lost money, just that there’s nothing interesting enough to put into black and white. This was not one of those sessions. To say it went to 11 on the 1-10 poker scale would be doing it a disservice. It was more like smoking crack and snorting speed being chased by tigers whilst blasting across the alkali flats in a jet-powered, monkey navigated…. and it goes on like this http://imgur.com/r/thesimpsons/Uvh5BzG. It was mental. There were also numerous beers consumed over my 5 hour session but that had nothing to do with it.

No one at the table was particularly remarkable, there were a couple of LAGs over the course of my session, one of whom features heavily in the later stages. Quite a few of the players were very passive and it wasn’t uncommon to see multi raised preflop action get called by 4 or more players. The only player I’ll describe is grandma calling station (GCS) on my immediate left who, over the course of the 2 hours that she was sat next to me, must have called 95% of the time preflop whatever the action and didn’t make a single raise. One particularly weird hand was when she called something like $40 preflop then folded to a $25 shove on the flop with no action behind. 

When I join a table I usually like to sit down with a beer already in front of me and I do this for 2 reasons. The first being the waitress service – if I’m parched I’ll spend the first few hands scanning the room for a waitress and not concentrating on the table. The second is other people’s reactions – the better players’ eyes will light up when a new player enters the game holding a beer as they presume that anyone drinking is likely to be less skilled and therefore will be easy pickings. If you’ve never noticed it before you will now – even local grinders will loosen up a bit if they think there is easy money to be won from a drunk tourist.

I’m in MP when I first sit down and don’t see a flop for the first few hands – the waitress has already come by and I’ve ordered another beer so I’m trying my best to get rid of the one in front of me before she returns – I know she’ll want to take this however much is left and I don’t want to waste it. The first hand I’m interested in is when I’m on the button and look down at 77 – there’s been 4 or 5 limps already so I raise to $16. GCS in the SB calls and the BB raises to $40. Now I don’t like my hand so much and I’m thinking about a fold when there are 3 callers before I act so it’s only costing me $24 into a pot of over $160. My only concern is if GCS is going to come over the top (at this stage I’ve not realised that she’s a calling station) but I call and she does the same. So we’re 6 to the flop of A77. GCS checks, BB bets $50 and there’s one call before getting to me. I’m hoping GCS has an Ace and will call so I only call rather than raise but GCS folds. Turn is a blank and there’s now 2 hearts on the board and the BB bets $100 which is called before getting to me so I call. River is another heart and the BB shoves maybe $250 which is called before I call for my last $100 or so. BB turns over AA for the house, other hand is Ah-Qh for a rivered flush and the BB looks sick as I table my flopped quads (looking back I should have raised the turn– neither player is folding for another $100 and if the flush draw doesn’t come in then the MP player can potentially get away given the BB has bet $250 and all he would have is 2 pair). More than a triple up and I’m still stacking chips when the waitress comes along with my beer. Lovely.

I barely play a hand for a few rounds until I’m dealt AA in MP – UTG has limped so I raise, GCS calls as do the blinds and the UTG limper. Q high flop but not overly scary so I bet when it’s checked to me and it folds to the UTG limper who shoves his last $80 or so. I call, everyone else folds and he tables QQ. Aces are 0/2.

I look at 4h-5h in the BB when there’s an MP raise plus 3 calls with only GCS left to act. Flop is A-2-3 all hearts!!! Checked to MP who bets, 1 call, I call and GCS calls. Order another beer as the turn is dealt, checked to MP who now checks, bet from late position and I call, GCS folds and MP calls. Another blank on the river and I decide to bet but I’m unsure of the size. A large bet potentially goes uncalled – the board is unpaired and the only hand that’s raising is a K high flush so I only bet about ¼ of the pot. MP calls then other guy shoves for maybe $150 more. I call and the original raiser tanks before open mucking AA. Other guy shows Kh-Qh and I scoop my second monster pot of the night. Aces are 0/3. 

I take a bathroom break after my button and I return to see someone’s Aces cracked again – they are now 0/4 in about 90 mins.

I button raise with JJ and get called by GCS in the SB plus one in MP. 10 high flop and I bet, GCS calls and the other guy folds. Turn, check, bet, call. River, check, check and GCS flips over AA!!! But at least it’s to GCS – anyone else could quite easily have doubled up through me. But AA is now on the scoreboard although looking pretty bad at 1/5. 

GCS has left at this stage and there’s a new guy sat on my left – he asks how I’m sat behind nearly 2k and I recount a few of the hands and tell him to avoid playing Aces. I jokingly tell him I’m just open shoving if I get them. 

Next hand I get involved with is from late position holding J-10 suited. I call a small raise as does half the table and floppeda flush draw which hit on the turn. I can’t recall being overly aggressive but the original raiser bets all the way and is all in when we’re heads up at showdown – he tables AA which are 1/6 now!

I 3 bet in late position holding KK after 2 calls to the original bet, original raiser 4 bet shoves (he was fairly new to the table but pretty LAG so I’m not overly concerned that he’s got AA) and there’s 2 all ins behind him for not much more. So I call and table my hand. Bizarrely all the other players do as well – A rag for all 3!!! What the fuck? I’d be embarrassed to show if it were me. I think the strongest kicker was a 10 but LAG showed A-3!! There’s the case fucking ace on the flop and I lose $300 or so. Someone scoops a $1,200 pot with A-10!!!

I lose some more holding QQ against 22 who turns a set then rivers quads despite me betting preflop and effectively putting him all in on a J-10-8 flop

Then I get some chips from the LAG – he raises from MP and there are 3 or 4 callers before I look down at AA in the BB. Given he shoved with A3 he’s probably calling a decent sized bet but I don’t want 4 callers so I just shove. The guy next to me chuckles, LAG calls and everyone else folds. LAG tables A5 off!! He gets no help and I’m glad I shoved as one of the original callers says he had KJ for a straight. I know preflop I want him in the hand but I’m only 40%ish to win against 4 opponents and I’m probably not getting him off an open ender on the flop. Aces are 2/7!

I lose some more when I call a short stack’s all in – I’ve got AA and he flops a set of 3s. I jokingly look at the dealer and tell her not to give me aces as I can only win with rags – it’s her 2nd or 3rd down at this table and she’s seen AA get busted all night so she knows what I’m talking about. Aces are 2/8 now

Then the last noteworthy hand of the night. I’m holding JJ in late position and I get 2 calls to a raise - the BB (who had only been sat down a few minutes) and the LAG who is now sat on around $1,000. Flop is A-J-2 rainbow and the BB checks, LAG bets, I raise and the BB shoves (he started with $200), LAG shoves behind*Parp – has someone slowplayed AA here? This makes no sense here as LAG is definitely reraising preflop with AA but would the BB have flat called preflop then check shoved on the flop? I actually take a bit of time to think about this and I work back the hand history. I decide LAG has definitely not got AA, even a single ace is unlikely so that means BB could well have it. LAG’s got all his chips in preflop with A-rag a couple of times already so there’s no way that he’s limped then called my preflop bet with AA, I’m putting LAG on 22 for bottom set so I call, expecting to be behind BB but ahead of LAGBB turns over A9!!! LAG tables KQ off – fuck my life, $1,000 on a 4 outer drawalthough he’s got quadruple the number of outs than if he’d got bottom set!!! Turn is a 9 and the river is another fucking Ace – fuck off poker gods! BB scoops $600 but at least I take the LAG’s money. BB burns off his chips within a round or 2 but none back to me.

*Looking back I really have no idea why he did this – he knows he’s behind so should want me in the hand as if he hits he wins big but if he doesn’t then he loses everything he’s got. Or is his thought process to bluff me off a better hand? Again that doesn’t work because he must be behind the BB and therefore losing $200 anyway. I understand betting the draw (as his bet could cause me and the BB to fold) but once the BB is all in he needs to hit to win the hand. Or maybe he just doesn’t want to have to call a big bet on the turn if he’s missed and if I fold he effectively gets 2 “free” cards for his draw?But wtf goes on in the minds of these crazy loons? I really have no idea.

I decide to call it a day after about 5 hours and 12 or so beers. Although I’ve racked up more than this at higher stakes tables this is by far my biggest win at a 1/2 table – I cashed out for $3.5k and change which just looked ridiculous at a small stakes table. It had been a complete rollercoaster and my only concern now is where to buy some downers.

No comments:

Post a Comment